Saturday, March 28, 2009

Real Life Connections

As History teachers, we struggle to find ways to make what we are teaching (whether it is 20 years ago, 200 years ago, or 2000 years ago) relevant for our students. It can be very exciting when an opportunity presents itself.

This past week, My fifth graders and I performed our rendition of the Boston Tea Party debate. (see my previous post detailing last year's performances. They come from an excellent curriculm from the Old SouthMeetinghouse of Boston) This kids love the drama and the dress-up. You can imagine my excitement when parousing Boston.com this week I discovered a very interesting real life protest in Boston- over bottle water no less. The kids loved it, loved seeing other people dressed up like them (some of them thought I was the one in red). We had a very interesting discussion about our society's obsession with bottled water. http://www.boston.com/video/viral_page/?/services/player/bcpid14094180001&bctid=17569090001

I'm not sure how long it will be up there, but it is humorous.

1 comment:

Kathryn Jones said...

Helen, that's great!

I would imagine your class LOVED the video clip. What a great way to connect the past to the present. Bravo! (and maybe they learned some little known facts about the bottled water industry, too!)

-Kathryn